Monday, March 19, 2012

Baking with the girls

Not too long ago my two youngest nieces came over for a Sunday afternoon. Mom and Dad needed a babysitter and I was only too happy to have them over. It was one of those cold days at the end of February, and we were getting our last snow (finger's crossed). They brought some video games and books, but eventually got bored so we went into the kitchen to bake.

Proofing yeast in warm water and sugar.

Learning to kneed.

We baked bread and made a cake. This was one of those I-have-no-recipe-and-I-don't-care cakes. We had some apples to use up, so we made cinnamon apple cake with carmalized apples on the bottom. I thought it turned out well for basically making it up as I went. My husband devoured it!

2 cups flour.

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 egg. Look at how gorgeous that blue egg is. We've been buying our eggs from a local woman who raises chickens in her backyard. Someday that will be me!

1/4 cup of oil.

1 tablespoon vanilla

And not pictured is a 1/2 cup of milk.

"Aunt Lisa, I want to stir!"

"No, I want to stir!"

I chopped 3 apples and added them to the bottom of my buttered baking dish.

On top of the apples I sprinkled 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Then we dolloped the batter on top and spread it out using the back of a spoon. This went into a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes.

This was a very old fashioned cake to my palate. It was good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and lasted well in a covered dish on the table. Not that it lasted long with my husband in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment